Going Back To School!

Okay I went back to College ...we for a tour that is of the new improvements, additions and renovations at the Napa Valley Community College. I must say I was very impressed the college is focusing on Sustainability and going green. They have 40% of their campus energy is supplied by their own Solar Panels, which saves the college $300,000 per year that they now use on classes. But wait that's not it they have a Chiller Plant ..okay what's that a Chiller Plant in basics is a large ice making machine that produces enough ice to cool the campus instead of air conditioning..how does it work well the campus runs it's power to operate the Chiller Plant at night when electricity is cheaper (cost $.03/Kilo Watt vs. during the day at $.18/Kilo Watt) This plant produces ice that cools the water system that pipes through the campus during the day and cools the air. Oh yes the school is operating a water radiant heating/cooling system. This cooling system saves the school $200,000 a year which is diverted to the class rooms as well. So the college has reduced their energy costs by half a million dollars and put it back into education...I say for that they deserve an A+...for more information on what they have done to the campus as far as Sustainability in buildings and other improvements please see the following link Napa Valley College Renovations. My disclaimer is I am a Realtor not an expert on Solar or Chiller Plants so for any incorrect verbiage I apologize I was going from my notes based on the information I received on my tour.   One more thing they are running a "Declare Yourself" campaign which is for all Latino students who are attending the college to Declare their ethnicity. The reason for this is if they have 25% of their students of the Latino background they can receive millions $$$$ in grant money that can be spent on all students at the campus...if you have any questions please speak to College President Edna Baehre. 

 Chiller Plant


Life Sciences Building

 bus transit station

Comments

Popular Posts